Foundedin 1947, the Lafayette Real Estate Board began when several brokers united and joined the National Association of Real Estate Boards, after agreeing to adopt and enforce the Code of Ethics, and protect the use of the term REALTOR® in Lafayette. (The Code of Ethics was created on the principle of ‘The Golden Rule.’ It has been a part of the National Association of REALTORS® since 1913).
In July of 1961, the Board changed its name to the Lafayette Board of REALTORS® (LBR). LBR helped many REALTORS® over the years by making their daily tasks easier with the standard forms and access to the Multiple Listing Service (MLS). The MLS began in the 1960s. The LBR office was in the old Evangeline Hotel on Jefferson Street, and the staff person would print out the MLS sheets that members would add to their MLS book.
In 2005 the Lafayette Board of REALTORS® changed its name once again; this time to reflect the economic growth of the area and the regional aspects of real estate. The new name, REALTOR® Association of Acadiana was unveiled at a press conference and reception. The change was reflective of the organization’s growing jurisdiction. When incorporated in 1947 the Lafayette Board of REALTORS® served only Lafayette parish. In 2004 four more parishes were added to its jurisdiction: Acadia, St. Landry, Iberia and St. Martin. The new name reflected the areas in which members and their buyers and sellers conduct the majority of their business.
Currently, the REALTOR® Association of Acadiana is a professional membership association for more than 1000 local REALTORS®, who represent the best in their profession as they willingly adopt the Code Ethics and continuously learn about the issues and changes affecting the real estate industry.